Monday 8 June 2015

Postcards from... Bielsko-Biała #1

In June 2011, having turned down a job in Spain, I set about looking for other options, albeit with the same franchise. Top of my list was Poland and as good luck would have it, there were quite a few vacancies. Long story short, I applied for one and got offered it. And that October, I found myself in Bielsko-Biała ready to start the academic year.

Bielsko-Biała is a small city in the south of Poland, a 30-minute drive from the Czech border. The city comprises two former smaller towns, one each side of the rzeka Biała (White River). Interestingly, both 'Bielsko' and 'Biała' refer to the river, with the etymology deriving from biel or biała, which means 'white' in Polish.

Riverside walk

It's fair to say that Bielsko-Biała was never exactly a must-see; it was simply the place where I'd got a job. As said job turned into a living nightmare, I spent less and less time in the city, preferring to get out at every given opportunity. Thus, the few photos I have were taken within the first couple of months of my stay. I never bothered to research the history, and to this day have no interest in doing so. What follows, therefore, is simply a handful of nice enough photos, enough to pay lip-service to the city I lived in for nine months, not enough to whet anyone's appetite...

Statues in the fountain


The corner of Ul. Wzgórze


Ul. Wzgórze leading to the Rynek (main square)


One of the bars on the main square


The main square


The Rynek or main square


Statue in the main square


Beer shop


Church near the university


University of Bielsko


Architecture in the city


The art nouveau Kamienica Pod Żabami (House Under the Frogs)


Close-up of the frogs

No comments:

Post a Comment