Monday 16 November 2015

Exploring España: Sevilla #2

In June 2014, I spent three days in Sevilla, but unlike just about every other tourist ever, I didn't fall head-over-heels in love with the city. Instead, I found it to be little more than a big fat tourist trap – overpriced, overcrowded and far from deserving of the accolades heaped upon it. But no matter how charmless I think a place, I can usually find something I like, and Sevilla was no different...

Close-up of some of the flowers on Muelle de Nueva York

Having been left distinctly underwhelmed by the city's historic buildings, I set off in search of a more modern offering – El Metropol Parasol, more commonly known as Las Setas (the mushrooms) for its funghi-like appearance.

Designed by the German architect, Jürgen Mayer-Hermann, the building – thought to be the largest wooden structure in the world – measures 150 x 70 m (490 x 230 ft) and has an approximate height of 26 m (85 ft). Work commenced in 2005 and, following long delays, it was finally completed in 2011.


I soon found what I was looking for. And that's when my opinion of Sevilla changed. Forget the centuries-old cathedral, forget the ancient Alcázar – THIS was what made Sevilla worth visiting. For a mere €3 (£2.50/US$4), I was treated to some stunning views right across the city. I could happily have stayed up there all day, just drinking it all in...

Las Setas


Standing underneath the 'mushrooms' in La Plaza de la Encarnación


Starting the walk...


Looking across the city with La Iglesia de la Anunciación in the foreground


View of La Iglesia de la Anunciación


An overview of the walkway


Descending...


...and ascending


View of the waffle-like structure and the highest point


Oh, go on then, one more photo


Leaving Las Setas

On my second day, having had some breakfast, I went wandering and somehow mis-read my map (which is nothing unusual for me) and ended up getting lost. I can't even remember what I was looking for now, but what I ended up finding made my day. I had stumbled across La Plaza de Toros de la Real Maestranza de Caballería de Sevilla (the bullring). Ordinarily, I wouldn't get all that excited about a bullring – I mean I live right beside one in Madrid and I've never visited it – but I realised that this one was the very one I'd seen in photos, one of the symbols of Spain so to speak. Guided tour for €7 (£5.60/US$9.35)? I didn't need asking twice!

The very view I was after


Breaking away from the guide to grab another photo


The top rows


Looking along the row of seats


Sol y sombra


Seat numbers


The shady seats – probably the place to be on a hot summer's day in Sevilla


Passageway leading to the museum


The museum's only cow, famous for being the mother of the bull that killed Manolete

Later, on the way back to the hotel, I passed the cathedral. Outside on Avenida de la Constitución, there was a dancer drawing quite the crowd. I carefully edged forward till I had a front row view and watched for a while. But soon our eyes were drawn away from the dancer and towards a little girl in a pink dress who was imitating the dancer's moves with concentrated determination...

Flying shawl


Dancer having her moves copied by a fan


The picture of concentration

Seeing these simple sights made me look upon Sevilla more kindly. While I am unlikely to be running back there anytime soon, I can at least look back on my trip and smile. And given my earlier feelings towards the city, that's got to be progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment