Monday 11 May 2015

Postcards from... Hornbæk

I can't remember how I first heard about Hornbæk – I may have seen a photo – but once it had gotten into my head, it wouldn't leave. Having overdosed on castles for the day, I figured I needed to clear my head. And what better way to do that than to take a walk along a gorgeous beach...

Just 12km (7 miles) north-west of Helsingør lies the former fishing village of Hornbæk. From the late 18th century onwards, Copenhageners would spend their summers in the countryside north of the city. During this time, many artists took lodgings in Hornbæk and thus the town got its first tourists.

Mass tourism came to the area with the inauguration of the Hornbæk [Railway] Line (Hornbækbanen) in 1906. Hornbæk Beach is the largest and most visited beach on the coast of Nordsjælland (North Sealand) and having visited it, I can't say I'm surprised. It was absolutely gorgeous!

The approach to the beach

 
July it may have been, but the beach was utterly deserted


This could be heaven


The view to the left...


...and to the right

No comments:

Post a Comment