Monday 13 April 2015

Exploring Portugal: Matosinhos

Mid-May 2011, temperatures were soaring and I was keen to go exploring. Nonetheless, it took an hour for me to decide where to go. I eventually settled on Matosinhos, a coastal town that the guidebook suggested was where the locals went for fish suppers and nights out. I was surprised, therefore, to discover that it was quite industrial.

Having gotten over the initial shock, I was thrilled to discover that the sand was like powder underfoot (albeit scorching powder). Despite the heat, the beach was surprisingly empty and I didn't have to fight for a place to sit. I watched the world go by for a bit, flicked through some magazines and had the good sense to move before my legs turned red!

One of the nicest beaches in northern Portugal


A little piece of heaven


The ugly developments could not detract from the beauty of the beach


Walking towards Castelo do Queijo

I walked along the beach until I reached Forte de São Francisco Xavier, more commonly known as Castelo do Queijo (Castle of the Cheese) because it's built on a rock that looks like a piece of cheese. Having handed over a nominal fee to enter, I was rewarded with stunning views across the Atlantic. At that moment, I questioned my decision to leave Portugal the following month...

Guarding the Atlantic front

It suddenly occurred to me that I was only a short walk from Foz do Douro. As it was such a lovely day and I was reluctant to go home, I decided to walk along the coast and get the tram into the centre of Porto. Turns out that this was a very bad idea. Unbeknownst to me, the trams had been cancelled in favour of a parade of historical trams. I realised this an hour later. By then, fed up of waiting, I had started the now long walk back to Matosinhos to catch the metro. Even that was not simple as in reverse I couldn't remember which way I walked. I got there eventually, reaching Porto Campanhã in time for the Braga train.

No comments:

Post a Comment