Thursday 14 January 2016

Exploring España: Altea

Following the previous day's disappointing trips, I was in desperate need of a trip to somewhere that would erase the memories and make me forget that I should have been in Tunisia. So when I came across Altea, I was sold. If just looking at photos could make me happy, imagine what actually being there would do?!

Around 60 km (37 miles) north of Alicante lies the charming coastal town of Altea. Situated on a steep hillside overlooking the Bay of Altea, this gorgeous town is a labyrinth of narrow cobbled streets lined with whitewashed houses. As well as taking you to the beautiful blue-domed church of Nuestra Señora del Consuelo (Our Lady of Solace), climbing to the top of the hill gives you spectacular views across the Bay of Altea with its mountainous backdrop...

The entrance to the old town


Typical street


Going uphill...


...then looking back down


Sea views


Looking across the rooftops


Whitewashed houses against a backdrop of blue


Blue domes of the church of Nuestra Señora del Consuelo (Our Lady of Solace)

 
Another narrow cobbled street


Chairs, perhaps for decoration, perhaps for actual use


Could this place get any prettier?


Another gorgeous street


My favourite view


Looking back up the steps I'd just descended


Turquoise sea from the promenade


One last longing look...

Of all the places I've seen in Spain, Altea is definitely one of the prettiest. Despite being increasingly popular with tourists, the town has managed to retain its charm and character. From the blue-domed church to whitewashed houses to the turquoise sea, there was nothing I didn't love. I'd go back in an instant.

No comments:

Post a Comment