Monday 18 January 2016

Exploring España: Villajoyosa

Sometimes all it takes to make you want to visit a place is a single photo. That was the case with Villajoyosa (Vila Joiosa in Valenciano), a beautiful coastal town on the Costa Blanca (White Coast).

Situated some 32 km (19 miles) north of Alicante, Villajoyosa, which means 'Joyful Town', is famous for two things – its chocolate industry and its tourism. The former is due to its THREE chocolate factories, while the latter is down to its three kilometres of beaches and its lovely ocean-facing promenade lined with colourful houses.

'Joyful Town' living up to its name


Another view of the promenade


Platja Central (Central Beach)

 
The view to the left...


...and to the right

 
Palm trees providing some much-needed shade

Having taken in the promenade and the long, sandy and surprisingly uncrowded beach, I ducked down one of the narrow streets to see what else the town had to offer. I was pleased to discover that the bright colours extended to the back streets and, like the beachfront buildings, houses were painted in vibrant blues and oranges and purples...
 
An ornate door


One-eyed, bushy-tailed cat walking down a colourful street


Typical street


Looking uphill

With the chocolate factories sadly closed (damn holy day!), I found myself being pulled back to the promenade with its colourful buildings. No matter how many photos I took, I couldn't quite seem to capture the essence of the promenade. Nonetheless, I had fun trying.

Red and yellow and pink and green...


...I can see a rainbow

 
Rolling sea

Perhaps it was the sun, perhaps it was the colour, or maybe it was a little of both, but whatever the case, Villajoyosa really lived up to its name of 'Joyful Town'. Just being there made me happy, and that was without setting foot in even one of chocolate factories! Just imagine if I had, I'd have been on cloud nine...

No comments:

Post a Comment