Monday 23 February 2015

Exploring Portugal: Coimbra

I had always known that I would be teaching half a year of Saturdays. Since I was new, it made sense that those would be the second half of the year. Only later did I realise that it meant working when the weather was as its best. Sigh.

Determined to make the most of my last 'free' weekend, I booked an overnight stay in Coimbra, the former Roman settlement of Aeminium located on a hill overlooking the Mondego River. Once the country's former capital (1131-1255), Coimbra is best known for its university. Founded in 1290, Universidade de Coimbra is one of the oldest universities in Europe and now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

View from Universidade de Coimbra

While sitting on the train, I looked out of the window, and in direct contradiction with the weather forecast, the skies were an ominous shade of grey. Keen to make the most of my trip, I decided that a few grey clouds were not going to ruin my weekend. Once in Coimbra, I got the train to the centre and located my hotel, congratulating myself on its proximity to both the river and the main sites. Too early to check in, I decided to go exploring, where upon I came across the Igreja de Santa Cruz, a monstrosity of a church. Next door, in the adjoining monastery was a rather quaint café, where I treated myself to a cup of tea and a pastel com natas.

Refreshed, I decided to explore the old university. Once I had ascertained which building it actually was, I walked through the old gate and was hit with the most breathtaking of views. By this time, the sun had come out and the skies provided a deep blue backdrop to the white university. Those views alone made my Coimbra trip worthwhile.

Statues outside Faculdade das Letras (Faculty of Letters)


Mosaic of the university's seal in front of Porta do Paço (Palace Gate)


Paço Real (University Palace)


The photo that best sums up my trip


Covered walkway


Under the arches


Central steps


The clock tower, nicknamed A Cabra (The Goat)


Another view of Paço Real


Looking across the city


The Mondego River


Rooftops and river views


Aesthetically-pleasing architecture


Sunlit walkway


Entrance to Faculdade de Direito (Factulty of Law)

By the time I made my way back down to the main square, the skies were overcast. Following a lunch of rock bass (my go-to dish in Portugal), I went wandering again. A wrong turn saw me back at the hotel, so I opted to take a break from sightseeing and rest my weary feet. A little while later, I ventured outside, mainly so I could take some photos of the Mondego River.

Standing on Ponte de Santa Clara


View across the Mondego


Late afternoon river

It had always been my intention to revisit Coimbra, but with a list of places to see and just four-and-a-half months left to see them in, I never made it back. Perhaps one day I will...

No comments:

Post a Comment