Thursday 26 February 2015

Exploring Portugal: Figueira da Foz

Having seen what Coimbra had to offer, I decided to take a day trip. And what better place than coastal city of Figueira da Foz, which lies some 40 km (25 miles) west of Coimbra.

Figueira da Foz is known for its many beaches, but it's the town beach of Praia da Bola de Nivea that catches people's attention. It's 2 km (1.25 miles) long, and so wide that it takes a good ten minutes to walk from the edge of the beach to the sea, which gives rise to the claims that it's the widest beach in Europe.

It certainly felt like that as I trudged through the gritty sand, fighting a cold wind. Though it was cheering to see the sea, the visit was a short one. My hair was being whipped across my face by the wind, and I was finding it hard to hold my camera steady. I did the best I could, before giving up and heading back to the town where I sought refuge in a nearby café...

I couldn't even see the sea from the edge of the beach


Walking slowly uphill...


Finally! There's the sea!


Getting closer


Watching the waves


Waves crashing onto the shore

No comments:

Post a Comment