Monday 9 February 2015

Exploring Portugal: Foz do Douro

For a person who can't swim (sad but true), I have no idea why I am so drawn to water. But I am. I can't help it. I love the sea. Just seeing it makes me happy. Even thinking about it makes me happy! And so when I discovered that there was a beach just a stone's throw away from the centre of Porto, I was sold.

Along with the iconic Ponte Dom Luís I and the port wine industry that takes its name from the city, Porto is known for its old-fashioned trams. The #1 tram links Infante with Passeio Alegre, the closest tram stop to Foz do Douro. The line dates back to 1872, and it was the first tram line in Porto. Of course, the trams were horse-drawn then, but still.

One of Porto's old-fashioned trams

A mere €2.50 (£2/US$3) got me a one-way trip to the end of the line, from where it was a short walk to the seafront. Halfway along Avenida Dom Carlos I, where the River Douro flows into the Atlantic Ocean, there was a group of fishermen standing lines cast, patiently waiting...

Fishermen

Being November, the Atlantic Ocean was quite wild, and I spent an enjoyable couple of hours walking along the promenade and watching the waves crash on the shore and the rocks.

Waves crashing against the rocks


The view from Praia dos Carneiros


Seagull on the seafront

I loved the sound and the smell of the sea. I loved seeing the seagulls duck and dive, loved watching the fishermen sit patiently waiting for a bite. And, as always, it reinforced my desire to one day live near the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment