Monday 2 March 2015

Exploring Portugal: Espinho

I can still remember the first time I visited Espinho. Four years ago, I woke up to see sunshine and blue skies, dragged myself out of bed, showered and dressed and made my way to the station in time for the 10:34 train. Only then did I start formulating a plan for the day. I would get off at Campanhã and buy a ticket to somewhere. The only question was where?

Having mentally narrowed it down to one of three beaches, the rest was easy. I didn't want to spend too long on a train so Espinho, at just 30 minutes away, won hands down. Matosinhos and Póvoa de Varzim would have to wait till another day. It was a good call and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that unlike all the other beach towns I've been to, Espinho's train station was a mere stone's throw from the sea. I was there in seconds!

Pure perfection

Despite the weather, the beach was all but deserted – an expanse of perfect, untrodden sand. Even the beach-front cafes had space to sit and watch the waves forming and falling. I strolled along the beach, pausing to pick up pretty shells or to take yet more photos that wouldn't do the views justice... I was, once again, in beach heaven.

Gazing out to sea


The sea wall


Sun, sand and sea


White horses


Waves crashing onto the beach


Just another day in paradise

No comments:

Post a Comment