Monday 30 March 2015

Exploring España: Madrid #1

I may have spent the past three years living in Madrid, but before I visited it in April 2011, the city had never even been on my radar. And when I did finally book a flight, it had more to do with financial logistics than a desire to visit the city...

I was living in Portugal and trying to put together a trip to Italy for the Easter holidays. No matter where I was prepared to fly from, to or via, I just couldn't make the trip affordable. Then, while perusing possibilities on easyJet's website for the umpteenth time, I realised I could fly from Lisbon to Madrid, and from there to Venice. Never one to be content with just touching down in a city, I extended my holiday, giving myself a two-day stopover in this once overlooked city.

From the moment I landed I felt comfortable, almost as though I was coming home. And yet I had never been to the city before. I cleared passport control with ease and made my way to the metro station where I bought a 10-trip ticket and headed for Solthe heart of both Madrid and Spain. From Puerta del Sol, it was a short walk to Plaza Mayor... and I was instantly won over. It was everything the guide book had promised and more. Stunningly beautiful and lively, it fast became a home from home, and one which I would come back to several times that day.

Plaza Mayor, where I fell in love with the city


Created in 1616, this bronze statue of King Felipe III stands in the centre of Plaza Mayor

I spent the rest of my time in Madrid just wandering around the city, taking in the sights and the sunshine. From Palacio Real to Parque de El Buen Retiro, and from Puerta del Sol to Puerta de Alcalá, I was in holiday heaven. In just two days I had fallen completely and utterly in love with the city. Even as I was flying to Venice I knew I had left a little bit of my heart behind in Madrid. I knew that one day I would be back. I just didn't know when.

Palacio Real de Madrid is the official residence of the Spanish Royal Family, but is only used for state ceremonies





Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Almudena


Museo del Prado


Iglesia de San Jerónimo El Real is the remaining structure from the 16th century Hieronymite monastery


Villanueva Pavilion in Real Jardín Botánico


Templo de Debod is an ancient Egyptian temple that was rebuilt in Madrid





Templo de Debod


A huge urban park in the west of the city, Casa de Campo was once a Royal hunting estate


























After my Italian mini-break I went back to Portugal to see out the rest of my contract. I thought that I might go to Spain for the 2011/12 academic year, but a decision made on a whim landed me in Poland. Initially I loved everything about the place, but five months into the contract I came to feel trapped by it. I couldn't bear living in a small town where not only did I not speak the language but I didn't have a hope in hell of learning it. I couldn't stand the fact that the nearest big city was 2.5 hrs away by bus, and the airport even further. Or that to visit one of the more interesting cities meant a four-hour train ride. I wanted culture, meet-ups, events, a social life, a language I could (sort of) speak, good public transport, a major international airport, a better salary and much better weather. I wanted big city, bright lights. There really was only one choice: Madrid, the city where I had left my heart ten months earlier.

Fired up with enthusiasm I started researching the hell out of schools I might want to work at. I shortlisted four and sent off a speculative application to my number one choice. I finished my Polish contract on 15th June, 2012, flew back to the UK on 17th June and was in Madrid for the 19th to be interviewed for what I hoped was my dream job. I was offered the job the same day, and thus I found myself living in the city of my dreams...

No comments:

Post a Comment