Thursday 12 March 2015

Exploring Portugal: Nazaré

Having inadvertently included my colleague in my Carnaval travel plans, she then started adding things to the itinerary. Which is how I ended up visiting Nazaré. Despite my initial irritation at having my travel plans altered to suit someone else, I have to admit, it turned out to be a good choice.

Billed as a picturesque seaside village, Nazaré has fast become one of the most popular resorts on the Costa de Prata (Silver Coast). It's especially popular with surfers, and in 2013, Brazilian surfer, Carlos Burle, surfed what is believed to be the largest wave ever ridden. I wasn't interested in surfing though – walking along the beach was enough for me.

An ordinary looking beach


The beachfront houses

When I first reached the beach, it just looked like any normal town beach – pleasant enough, but nothing special. Until I got closer to the promontory and discovered sheltered coves between the rocks. Suddenly I realised how beautiful the beach really was. I was disappointed when we left it to watch the Carnaval parade go by, and so I insisted on visiting the beach one last time before we returned to Leiria.

Beginning to see the beauty


At the foot of the promontory


The cove where we spent the afternoon


Pure perfection


The beach at dusk

No comments:

Post a Comment