Thursday 29 October 2015

Exploring España: Málaga

Malaga had never really been on my radar. For me, the city's main selling point was its proximity to Granada. Nonetheless, while I was in the area, I figured I may as well explore it.

I arrived in Málaga early on the morning of Thursday, 15th May, but immediately headed for Granada. The following day, after my tour of the Alhambra, I got a bus back at 16:00, which got me into the city at around 17:30. Two early mornings on the trot had left me exhausted and it was all I could do to locate my hostel. Knowing that the weather on Saturday was going to be less than pleasant, I forced myself to have a wander. But after a very short time, tiredness hit and I dragged myself back to the hostel and fell into bed.

The next day, I woke up earlier than I would have liked and went to have breakfast on the hostel's roof terrace. The views were amazing, and I spent a while photographing everything in sight. I eventually made time to eat, and then, fueled up, took my camera and went to explore.

View of Iglesia de San Pablo from the terrace


Pink bougainvillea


Overlooking the rooftops

Somewhat disappointingly the weather, which over breakfast had been gorgeous, took a turn for the worse. But I was determined to the make the most of my short time in the city and so I headed purposefully for the first sight on the tourist trail – the Alcazaba (citadel). Built by the Muslim Hammudid dynasty in the 11th century, it is said to be the best-preserved Arabic fortress in Spain. My photos don't do it justice though. Blame the grey skies!

A brick archway


Flowers bringing some colour to the day


A Spanish coat of arms


Traditional Moorish arches


Decorative window


Patio de los Cuartos de Granada


Incredibly detailed window surround


Perfect symmetry


The crown's coat of arms


Tulbaghia violacea, a species of flowering plant in the onion family more commonly known as 'Pink agapanthus'

I have always fancied living by the sea, (which makes you wonder how I ended up living in Madrid!), so whenever I get the chance, I go to the beach. More often than not, city beaches are unattractive, and Playa de La Malagueta was no exception. That said, the cloudy skies coupled with a rather cold breeze might have affected my opinion. If it had been gloriously sunny, perhaps I'd have felt differently...

The slightly scruffy-looking Playa de La Malagueta


Taking in the views


Looking out to sea

A short hop from the beach is Paseo del Parque. Sandwiched between two very busy roads, it's an absolute gem of a park that is home to a host of beautiful, exotic plants. The park was a riot of colour and I couldn't help but smile as I discovered some of my favourites.

One of my favourite flowers – Strelitzia reginae, commonly known as 'Bird of Paradise'


Red hibiscus


A splash of yellow


The beautiful Jacaranda mimosifolia


Close-up of the Jacaranda blossom


Solitude in the park


Pink agapanthus


Horse and cart on C/ Cortina del Muelle

From the park, I made my way down C/ Molina Lario, past some horses and carts, and on to the cathedral. But before I could go inside, I got distracted by one of the most beautiful gardens I had ever seen. Channels of water, with a mini-water jet and a bird bath at the centre, ran underneath pink and red hibiscus bushes – it was absolutely gorgeous.

Lone pink hibiscus


One of the water channels


Hanging hibiscus

After the beauty of the gardens, I was reluctant to go into the cathedral in case it didn't live up to expectations. So I wandered all around it, photographing the entrances. Construction began in 1528 and was completed in 1782. Like the cathedral in Granada, this one is built on the site of a former mosque. It is predominantly Renaissance in style, but the façade is Baroque.

The single tower, the other one never having been built


The Baroque façade


Close-up of the façade


One of a pair of stone lions


Another façade with intricate stone carvings

Having taken in the gardens and the exterior, it was time to brave the interior. Unfortunately, it was something of a let-down. Some nice ceilings aside, it didn't have a huge amount going for it. And the little I did find attractive, I struggled to capture thanks to some very low-lighting and nowhere to steady the camera.

The altar


Close-up of the ceilings

For my final day, following a leisurely breakfast on the sunny roof-top terrace, I had just enough time to take a wander through the near-empty centre and re-visit the cathedral gardens. But all too soon, it was time to head back to the airport for my early afternoon flight to Madrid.

One final view from the terrace

Though going to Málaga was more about having easy access to Granada, I'm very glad I spent some time in the city as it turned out to be far more interesting than I could ever have imagined. I particularly loved the parks and gardens, and I also enjoyed visiting the Picasso Museum. I wouldn't mind revisiting the city as there were some sights I missed off, among them Castillo de Gibralfaro, the botanic gardens and the birthplace of Picasso. However, I doubt that I will return in the foreseeable future, and if I do, it will probably be for ease of access to someplace else.

No comments:

Post a Comment