Monday 19 October 2015

Hidden Madrid: Mercado de Motores

In Madrid, the word 'market' is synonymous with the famous El Rastro. I've been a couple of times but it really isn't my scene. However, while it may be the most well-known, it's far from the only market in the city. Having heard nothing but good things about the monthly Mercado de Motores, I decided to go check it out.

Museo del Ferrocaril (Paseo de las Delicias, 61; Metro: Delicias, L3) is located in the former station of Delicias, which was built by Gustave Eiffel and inaugurated in 1880. The museum contains one of the largest historic railroad collections in Europe. And, on the second weekend of every month, it once played host to El Mercado de MotoresAgainst a backdrop of old trains, stalls lined the platforms selling everything from food to crafts to furniture to bric-à-brac. Sadly, I only ever made it there once before the market closed for ever.

I arrived at about 12:15 and joined the short queue. Before long I had reached the top and was directed to follow the crowds along the left side of the building. This took me past a café area and into the museum. It was time to explore, and first up were some rather upmarket food stalls...

Cleverly designed mix-tape cookies


Bread sitting on a vintage scale
 

Bagged seeds
 
I wandered along the platform looking at all the goodies on offer and trying to get close enough to take photos. It was difficult to get near any of the stalls offering free tastings, so rather than taking photos, I made do with a free sample of ensaïmada (a Majorcan pastry) and a small cup of orange and cinnamon tea.
 
As I reached the end of the first platform, I paused to try and get some photos of the trains. I quickly realised though that to get the kind of pictures I want, I will probably have to come back when the market isn't on.
 
Historic trains
 
On the next platform, right up against the trains I found a host of craft stalls, which were a vision of loveliness. Carefully-chosen pieces had been artfully arranged, and I loved the way the stallholders had made the trains part of their 'shop'. The first stall had used the train's steps to stand some of their pieces on while others had placed pieces of contrasting colours against the carriages. I was in market heaven!
 
Steps leading to the train


A quaint shop


Close-up of some of the merchandise


Carved letters are an incredibly popular feature of the 'window' displays


More carved letters


Things you never knew you wanted (including yet more carved letters!)


Babygros strung between two trains


Shabby chic


A display that appealed to me


La Pluma Verde (the Green Feather)

 
Hand-made signage
 
Inside the station are all the craft stores, often belonging to shops based in the quirky Malasaña  area of the city. The market continues outside though with stalls selling more traditional second-hand goodsclothes, books and bric-à-brac. Though I had no interest in the old clothes, I found myself drawn to odd collections of household goods.
 
From porcelain pitchers to garden gnomes, this stall has it all


An old scale that caught my eye

I am not usually a huge market person, but I absolutely LOVED Mercado de Motores – the location, the ambience and the wares made this a must-see in my book, and one I was keen to revisit. But, by the time I thought about it, the market had gone bust.

No comments:

Post a Comment